




In one way the two weeks we have spent in the NICU has flown by..but at the same time the life I knew before seems so foreign as if it were years ago. Priorities of mine in the past have not even made it to the "should be done at some point" list yet.
Olivia spent her 2 week birthday growing! She is now 4lbs 6 ounces! She is actually starting to look like she has chubby cheeks to me (either that or I am getting warped thinking that "tiny" is normal...the full term babies that come into the NICU look absolutely HUGE to me).
I made the NICU some of my sugar cookies..I decorated them in onsies and crowns...I am hoping that we do not see many more "week" birthday's there...One of her Doctors jokingly said to me (because of the treats) "Maybe we will be ready to discharge her about the time she starts kindergarten."
Olivia is staying awake just a little bit more before I feed her, and she did my favorite baby thing today...when they stretch and arch their little backs and put their hands up over their heads...I just love that. It is so fun to see her finally starting to act like a baby and not as much like a helpless kitten.
Our kids are showing the wear and tear signs of a house full of stress. I am sure it is so hard for them when they can't see, or touch, or know her at all. The part they see is...mommy tired and short tempered, no playdates, extra chores, extra baths, schedule upheaval... It is only a short time though. Sooner than they know mommy will be home 24 hours a day (with Olivia in for months) and have all the time in the world to clean, play and be calm.
I love the outfit. The cookies look so yummy too!
ReplyDeleteOh Jamie, she is beautiful!! I am so excited to hear about her progress. We have been praying for you guys. I just saw your blog for the first time and read the whole thing. What an awe inspiring story from the start! The Lord truly loves and cares about you and is watching over you all. I can't wait to meet Olivia. She is such a fighter and absolutely beautiful. We love you guys!! Please let us know if we can help in any way.
ReplyDeleteKelli, Darren and Aiden
Hi this is Mandy Bauer's sister Liza, I just have to say that I understand having a baby in nicu, my first spent an entire month there. Those milestones are so great, and though full of stress and worry, those times I found when it was just me and my tiny little one amidst the beepings of the monitors was so endearing. It brought a very special bond. You truely learn to lean on the Lord. Best wishes to you and your family. By the way my 3 lb baby is now in kindergaten and doing fantastic.
ReplyDelete