Mackenzie crocheted this hat for Olivia. She started on it feverishly the moment Olivia was born, she brought it to me the first night that she came to visit me in the hospital.

Okay day 8 is awesome! I woke and made my phone call. My new favorite nurse (because she gave me all the good news) told me that Olivia's oxygen had been turned down to room air and that she thought she would go off of it today! She also said that if she went off the oxygen that she would be able to move to an incubator..much more cozy. When I was about to hang up she added.."oh, and if you would like to bring her up some clothes she will be able to wear them today also!" I was so happy! I also was annoyed with myself for procrastinating the entire pregnancy and not buying a single baby item. I suppose that even if I had they would have never fit my tiny girl. Because I am still recovering from surgery...and darn it because Brian was there when the Dr. was giving me my dis-charge orders I have not been able to drive myself anywhere...you would think they all thought I would do something crazy like drive myself to the hospital hemorrhaging.
When I got to the hospital Olivia had been taken off of the oxygen and was moved into her new bed. She looked beautiful and finally happy. The nurse let me get her dressed and wrap her own blanket around her. Then the nurse said ...oh she even got her first bottle today.......I tried not to tear up. I really think that I should have been able to give her her first bottle.....
apparently she took half her bottle and then tired out.
Later on that day the nurse made up for the whole bottle thing and let me try to breast feed. Olivia is tiny and wears out so quickly, she latched on perfect the first try but then took about 6 sucks over the 1/2 hour we tried.
I am just overwhelmed with the fact that only a week ago I really wasn't sure that we were going to make it. What a tough and strong little spirit this! With each passing day the divinity of life becomes more apparent to me. Life is so full of modern day miracles....and we are being blessed to live one out right before our eyes. This little person weighing a whole of 4 lbs. soaking wet has already changed so much of our lives. She has taught us what real courage is. She has taught us patience, and trust. She has taught us sympathy and love and most of all she has reminded us of God's love and mercy.
No comments:
Post a Comment